Operators 2 and 3 are flipped

Is GENNY missing something? Or more likely is it BROKEN? Discuss it here!
Plygon

Operators 2 and 3 are flipped

Post by Plygon »

This very well could be from my own ignorance about how the chip works, but it seems like operators 2 and 3 are flipped.

When I look at the diagram for algorithm 1, it looks like 1 modulates itself and 2, which modulates 3, which modulates 4.
But when I play with it, it sounds like 1 modulates itself and 3, which modulates 2, which modulates 4.

Is this a bug, or is there something else going on?

Thanks!
superjoebob
Site Admin

Re: Operators 2 and 3 are flipped

Post by superjoebob »

Hey Plygon, welcome to the forums-

Woah, you're right! Looks like they are swapped, for some reason or other the register layout on the chip goes 1->3->2->4 and I was assuming a sequential order. It's funny, as I learned to make presets in GENNY there was always a nagging feeling that the operators weren't behaving like they should have from time to time, I assumed there was just something I wasn't understanding but in retrospect this is exactly what made it confusing.

Fixed this in the latest version, thank you so much for figuring this out. It's such a little change but it makes a huge difference.
Plygon

Post by Plygon »

Awesome! I thought for sure I was crazy. Thanks a ton for fixing it!

Also, I'm glad to see that those spam bots seem to be gone. Hopefully that wasn't too much of a pain
superjoebob
Site Admin

Post by superjoebob »

The spam bots are a lot better anyway.. After cleaning up 10000+ posts I added a sign up question and a 100 post limit for new members but it seems like the bots are still skulking around. More managable now though~
Plygon

Post by Plygon »

Hi superjoebob,

I know this thread is super old, but I'm bumping it because the issue is partially back in version 1.16 on the FL plugin (I haven't tested the VST version).
The Detune, Freq, Env Scale, and SSG sliders are swapped between operators 2 and 3, but the envelope controls are in the right order.
uHu

Post by uHu »

superjoebob wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:22 pmWoah, you're right!
Doing this quote in the hope, that you're notified and respond.

As Plygon said, the controls below the envelope controls are still flipped.
I also made a bug report in the Bug report forum.

I also reported some other bugs there (LFO is not working correctly ... and there's also another issue).

I know you're doing game development now, but please fix this plugin.
I tried tons of alternatives now, but EVERY single plugin has serious issues:

OPNPlug has all envelope knobs inverted.
(Also knob turning behaviour is really annoying.)

RYM2612 has a somehow cluttered UI and a lot of non-labeled knobs, where you always need to look at the top of a column.
(Ok. To be honest. This might not count as "serious issue". All in all it's probably the most ok YM2612 plugin right now. Still bad UI.)

Chipsynth MD has buggy envelope knobs.
The UI loads super slowly.
The plugin DLL does not contain the whole plugin. It clutters your PC with tons of files and even needs to install another program (called fermata engine) to work.

FM Drive has an ultra bad UI.

So Genny is really needed!
If you don't have the time for it, can you make it Open Source maybe?
It would also be nice to be able to scale up the GUI. It's pretty small on a 4K display.